Pages

Sunday 6 January 2019

Batiks and #patchworkcity2018

There is a lot I like about batiks - the colours and patterns, the tight weave, the fact you can (almost) equally use the back and the front... However, over the last few years I have gotten out of using batiks though I still have quite a bit of it in my stash. In February 2017 I came across Hoffman Me & You batiks, to my mind mixing modern patterns with the beauty of batiks, so I had to have them lol


In 2018 I finally made use of them, first in the Baby Quilts, then I joined the #patchworkcity2018 SAL on IG where I decided to use a mixture of my batiks, including the remainders of Me & You. I could be really obsessive and list every single block used, but if you want to know, just follow the link above, @manhandledthreads has got the names listed in his weekly SAL blocks.

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5
Week 6


Week 7

Week 8

Week 9


Week 10

'bonus block' 2

'bonus block' 1

Week 11
The SAL took a break over Christmas so Suzanne and I sewed a few bonus blocks in the meantime. My black & white Me & Yous are seriously depleted, so I am trying to get some more. No one seems to carry it locally, so sadly I will probably have to order from the US despite the high freight cost - but it would look strange to change it all around now. I have started to add in some black Quilters' Muslin which I am using for the sashing, but I want to keep that to a minimum. Using a non-batik for the sashing helps a lot in getting the blocks into the right shape - much more forgiving :)
I don't have that many more colours to go from my original selection, I think I will go back and do a few more transitions - and then there is always the option of buying more fabric...

My selection for #patchworkcity2018; well, I obviously have quite a few batiks...

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love to know you were here!