On COVID-19, after 102 days without any cases in New Zealand (bar some citizens returning from overseas who were tested in managed isolation), August saw a new outbreak in Auckland which brought with it a swift Level 3 lockdown for Auckland, and Level 2 restrictions for the rest of the country. Locking Auckland down (1.5 Mio people - or there abouts) has had considerable impact on other parts of the country, especially up here in Northland, the only region north of Auckland. Some people described Northland as an island, and while the economic impact is hard for many businesses, the swift action also means that our communities up here are kept safe. The restrictions were partially lifted as of Monday, and we have had many travellers return to Northland, so I am checking the news daily, hoping no cases are being exported out of Auckland into the regions. Sadly there were two more deaths this week, a total toll of 24 cases for a country of just over 5 Million.
Masks are now 'a thing': They are compulsory on public transport - except there is very little public transport in our region. For other places, they are recommended when you can't socially distance. Just prior to the official announcement coming out, I started a bit of mask-making, just in case, and I have since added a few more to the collection:
|These were made with a pattern by Tea Rose Home|
|DH has to wear masks in his teaching so the four on the right are made from the Apple + Fig Got you covered pattern|
|The Apple + Fig pattern seems to work quite well for wearing glasses when you include the wire (in this case pipe cleaner).|
|Spot the mistake...|
|I'll be starching all fabrics from now on, you can see some of the distortion in the middle (it looks worse than it is in the photo)|
|These blue blocks are some of my favourites|
|Didn't it turn out pretty?|
|You'll notice some of these are not like the others... I accidentally reversed the freezer paper when I transferred the lines from the print out, but I think it adds interest so will probably do half and half.|
|Notice the bumpy seams?|
|Now they look much happier :)|
|I will just keep on plodding away at this one, no deadline :)|
- Metrorings still has a few more of the diamond shaped areas in the background to quilt. I really don't know what is preventing me from getting this done...
- However, I managed to quilt all the yellow areas in Celebrations - DONE.
|More visible but still a little messy - one more reason to get this done :)|
|One of the only daytime shots to date - the colours do look bright & fresh - in case you have seen my IG photos that are much duller :)|
|Some very old friends in this one...|
|Everything cut, ready to piece 16 blocks|
|I worked out the pattern from the photos online, and I didn't realise my whirly gigs were twirling the opposite way to Emma Jensen's instructions 😂|
- Metrorings: Quilted, bound, label added and ready to put onto a bed
- Celebration: I know this will be a stretch, but boy would I love this quilted and bound to give to youngest DS for his birthday or for Christmas!
- Quilt Stairway to Heaven (tumbling blocks) for oldest DS' room, then bind & put up.
- Patchworkcity: Add borders ready for quilting.
- Venus: Complete all piecing so this can be quilted, bound and labeled over the summer break (for a baby due Feb/March)
- Cogs & Thistles: Complete all piecing ready for quilting.
- Whirly Gig: Complete all piecing ready for quilting.
- Rainbow at Sea: Have the set of 5 green blocks pieced
- Linedried: Piece Sections 6 & 7
- Summer Sampler 2017: Piece weeks 8 & 9
- Tilted Stars: Piece blocks 7-12
- Stained Glass: Piece two blocks per month, at least 6 in total by Christmas
- Paper Lanterns: Keep on stitching away at this (one way to not fall asleep in front of the tv!)
- Finish all quilting on Metrorings
- Quilt at least one colour for Celebration
- Piece four sets of blocks for Venus (incl. one set pieced yesterday)
- Piece Section 6 of Linedried
- Change the seams on Tilted Star so they point into the centre square - DONE (yesterday)
- Piece week 8 of Summer Sampler 2017
- Piece blocks 5-8 for Whirly Gig
- Piece blocks 9&10 of Stained Glass
- Rainbow at Sea: Finish piecing the six yellow blocks (incl. two done yesterday)