Pages

Sunday 26 May 2013

MiA from Blogland

I feel like that a bit, there has been so much on lately that I just haven't had time to post!
Work has been really good-crazily busy if you know what I mean, I have been on the road heaps but I feel I am making progress (if you like to know, this year I am working as e-Learning Facilitator, that means I work with currently 6 primary schools in Northland, New Zealand, about implementing a blend of traditional and digital learning in their classrooms for increased student engagement and achievement - big words I know, but great fun!). Still I got quite a bit done on the sewing front, so here are some photos:

 The Sewing Circle Tote is done and I am very pleased about it!
It is large and heavy - about 1100g empty lol
Lots of pockets inside - 3 zipped pockets and 5 with elastic, plus 4 pockets outside
The smaller elastic pockets easily fit an iPad Mini lol
See my feature fabric peeking out? Not my usual choice but I love it!

This comes in very handy because the Kerikeri Patchwork Club have decided to run a monthly Stitch and Chat every 3rd Saturday, 11am - 4pm at Cherry Park House. We had great fun last month, so if you are in the area, bring your sewing and lunch and join in ($1 contribution towards the room hire). There were oldies and newbies, and I am sad I won't be able to make the next two but I will definitely be back. But as you could see from one of the above pics, this bag might come in very handy in my work also to take some of my tech geeky stuff to my schools :-)

Next we have...
Mended Heart, my contribution towards the Red Challenge of the Aotearoa Quilters at this years Quilt Symposium in Taupo. The lovely Ms Lottie had been experimenting with a few different projects for this and as usual she got me into mischief she inspired me to get going, too (between Suz and her I have gotten my a into g a few times!). I wanted to play with quilting with contrasting thread following a piece Rona made a few years ago. It consists of a layer of dropcloth, then two slightly differently painted pieces of silk chiffon behind a piece of red batik, using reverse applique method. The cut out shape is a broken heart, and I wanted to show how after a heart was broken it might never quite be the same, but it grows, stronger, bigger, maybe slightly out of shape but nevertheless the heart and therefore we are still there. Is this ok to send in I wonder??

Then there was...

another oven mitt to take with us to Germany - 5 completed now (I have cut out one more and fabric for two after that. I am getting a bit over them, though!)

Out of the blue...

I decided to make a rag quilt from some gorgeous flannels I bought from Ngaire at The Apple Basket. I didn't really look at any instructions so I have batting coming out right to the ends of the squares which made the piecing a bit challenging...

With some of the joints needing a bit of hiding, in good scrapbooking tradition I put a button over them :-)



and as middle DS just got a new sofa in his room, this will probably live there! Need to measure it first, but from recollection its about 40x55" and there are some leftovers to make a cushion cover eventually.

Last but not least, DP4 has a name: "(I wish it was) Summer all year long". I have pulled it out again and have completed just under half of the feathers. I got pickier with the shapes, though, so I have started unpicking some of the wonky ones - after all it's meant to be a present! - and I will continue working on this for a while still:

I hope you have a lovely weekend and a productive week whatever you might be up to!
Happy Sewing!

4 comments:

  1. Gosh you've been really busy. (unlike me - I've been incredibly slack). You'll have to give your raggy quilt a good wash and dry in the dryer and it will fluff up and rag beautifully. I love all the fabrics your using for your oven mitts too. And yay - another RED entry! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag looks great too. I've just been admiring Suz' bag. I love your red quilt too. I may have to make one too. I was going to enter another challenge but the deadline is this week and there was no quilting done this weekend. A nice little project is just what I need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS 1100g! That's a big bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bag looks great - I saw Suzanne's on Saturday and thought it was very cool. You have been busy!! Your oven mitts will make a good gift. Your red heart is neat - good luck with sending it in! You cant beat a nice raggy quilt and I do like the quilting you are doing on the bigger quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love to know you were here!