Pages

Sunday 13 May 2012

Busy busy

Despite my rather frustrated post from two weeks ago I have been busy busy - at work (that anyway...), at home (loads of washing done and with help of middle DS and some bribery = a new Lego Minifigure washed half of the windows from the outside), and sewing :-)
Last weekend was our Club's Retreat, and I got heaps done:
  • Finished my place mats for family overseas 
Excuse the bad quality, but I didn't want to wait until morning to take a pic :-)

I had screen printed them in summer, batting is polyester, backing green with little leaves. Using my walking foot (that needs oiling squeak squeak!) I just stitched parallel and perpendicular lines. I tried to get some kind of Ikea look but the Calico I used is rather coarse, hence some of the lines look a bit wobbly (moving by a thread width is quite a deal here). I hope the recipients will like and use them :-)
Evidence of window washing bribery at top left!
  • Made a reusable shopping tote that folds into a little pouch (above)
  • Pieced the backing and crosshatch quilted my second of four pastel tessellation pieces that will one day go on my bed
  • Made a reverse applique heart for our Guild's heart quilt (didn't take a picture)
  • Using the Stratavarious Leftovers I made a new cushion cover and played with some ideas for the pile of pre-cut strips I found in that box:

[Blogger is really mucking me around with photos today - grrrrr I hate it when they turn up at a completely different place and then you can't move them! And in the load pics window your already uploaded pics are invisible, and above placement is called centre?!?!?!]
Since coming home I have been sewing up some of my classes wallhangings - they turned out quite nice after all:


This week I received the name of my secret ATC Swap partner - I better get cracking with that soon!

But this weekend I couldn't resist piecing my The Lorax top! I yet have to buy some nice polar fleece for the back, and once finished I will give it to my younger boys' school for fundraising. It was a fat quarter pack from Craftsy, at approx NZ$50 for 9 fqs and the panel incl. shipping it was a great bargain and my boys like it (we'll have to get some raffle tickets to win it ;-))
The panel blocks were rectangular, some 1 1/2" strips of Truffler trunks and a bit of chopping top and bottom brought them to 10" square. After consulting with Suz I alternated them with pieced blocks. Add a narrow border and a pieced border with fuzzy cut corner stones - voila, top that just needs quilting and binding!
Have you noted my pastel strips have disappeared from the design wall? Finally in place as back of the pastel tessellation :-)


Mickey thought behind my sewing machine was the best place for a nap - while I was sewing!!!


Well, dinner will soon be ready so I better go! Happy Mother's Day to you all!
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy Monika. The placemats look great - I'm sure they will go down very well. Love your cushion and quilt top too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, busy all right. Must have been that sewing until midnight! Love the way The Lorax quilt is turning out. And oh, to be a cat...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love to know you were here!